Saturday, July 23, 2011

Designer Mom Makes It Happen







I am pleased to feature Heather Benes, owner and designer of Beach n Bag, a fantastic product that I use every time I head out for the water. Heather is a friend of mine from years ago, and we continue to share the love of relaxing in the sun- I'm proud she's put her passion and innovative ideas together to make one splendid beach bag- check it out!

Desha: Heather, you are a busy mom with two boys, what made you decide to start your own business?

Desha at her favorite "secret" swim spot with her favorite bag!
Heather: I was encouraged by a friend of mine while we were at the beach with our kids. I was complaining that I disliked my beach bag, I couldn't find anything in it, and it was a big black hole. She said to me, "Why don't you make your own 'beach bag' than?" I thought she was kidding and I said, "Ok, sure, I'll just sew one right up!"She said "Seriously, what are you going to do with your free time when your boys are in all day school?" ... My youngest was starting full day kindergarten, I really thought I might just enjoy my free time and not work!! ha ha, but that didn't happen! So, than I decided why not make my own beach bag and see what happens. That is how it all started! 

Desha: What's been the most challenging and rewarding part about this process? What would you like women with small children to know about this process?
Heather Benes, Designer of Beach N' Bag

Heather: One of the most challenging parts of this process was staying up late at night and working while the kids were in bed. At first, I was so excited that I had tons of adrenaline to work late, no problem, but after the first 6 months it started to take it's toll on me.

It is really hard to balance kids, husband, dogs, house, and work. Oh yea, and have a social life!! One of the most rewarding parts is when a customer just raves about the bag and buys one for all their girlfriends b/c they love it so much! The bag was in InStyle Magazine in June and that success made me feel so proud of myself!

Heather and her family




Desha: Who inspires you in day to day life?

Heather: There are so many people that inspire me in life, but everyday, I would have to say my husband, boys, & girlfriends.

Desha: What are your aspirations for the future around your business/ life goals?

Heather: I started my business in a rough economy, I am very pleased to still be up and running. For the future, I'd love for my bags to be available in shops all over the world!






 Find more of Heather's Designs here:
www.beachnbag.com 

3 comments:

  1. Great product, Desha. I so enjoy hearing of a clever, practical product which is stylish too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my beachnbag!! I've had it for two years and it's great for the pool and beach. No wasting time digging around. Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know, I use this bag every time we go to the lake or beach, I highly recommend it! There's these little colored bags that come with it so you can find everybody's stuff fast-

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...