Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Spring Cleaning for the Mind

Spring is my MOST favorite time of the year. I wait all winter for it to come. I search for the first blossoms and cheer at the first bloom. Part of the joy comes from the expectation of all the goodness that's on it's way. It's also a time to renew, de-clutter and get organized. When I think of spring-cleaning, I imagine clearing up old dust bunnies under the coach, opening the windows and freshening up every inch of my space. It's a good way to let go of the old and focus on what lies ahead.

Today, my vision of spring did not fulfill my expectations. Instead I awoke to a pure white layer of brilliant snow. It's not what I had imagined or hoped for on the first day of spring, but nonetheless- it is stunning.

The pureness of the day inspired me to think of how to celebrate the new season in a different way.  Instead of cleaning my home, I realized it's my mind that needs some de-cluttering. There's so much going on in there... it really needs to be opened up and aired out! 

So, I got a giant poster board and wrote everything that's on my mind, and there's a lot! It feels good to get it all down on paper, to release it from my mind and see it all splayed out in front of me. Will I be able to remodel the kitchen, take care of making that living will, build the new business and all that goes with that, be a good parent, spouse, friend... and so on? Well, I will surely try. My expectations are that things will turn out right, like a spring blossom coming into bloom, but I'm also open to another brilliant scene that might unfold and remind me that beauty and joy come in many forms. 

View from my window on the 1st day of spring, Brattleboro VT

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...