Thursday, August 2, 2012

Naughty Dog. Cute Skirts.

It's Thursday!
Time for MY LITTLE BRATTLEBORO, where I talk about art, culture and style on Brattleborology.

The other day I was shopping in one of my favorite downtown stores, Twice Upon a Time, and I happened to find the CUTEST handmade skirt. It was perfect since my BFF was coming to visit from Cali bringing her adorable little 3 yr old and I needed a gift. Luckily, I was able to get a matching skirt for my daughter so they could be twinkies. I was so excited that I emailed the designer and found she was local! Jamaica is local, right? I mean, it IS Jamaica, VT. Here's her story:

Twinkies. Skirts by Naughty Dog.


Kim Rak, Naughty Dog

When did you start making clothes, and what inspired you to do so?
I started making clothes when I was a kid - my mom was always making things for me, and gave me my own machine when I was a teenager. I remember making clothes in college for kids going to parties to make extra money. When my son was born, I made some of his clothes. Several years ago I realized I needed a retrospective, a portfolio, to make sense of my life in the arts. I decided to develop a children's line as a business model for colour expression, and because children's clothes wouldn't require many materials. It helped me find my confidence again, and here we are today.

What's your story?
I have always had to relay on my resourcefulness, inventiveness and attitude to make ends meet. I lived self sufficiently for 15 years (using a treadle machine during those years,) by choice. Growing up in the 60s and 70s with a European mother who was a refugee from an occupied country, and a french Canadian father who

was an orphan for part of his life, brought me a different perspective of living life. Being of modest means, I have a tendency to feel challenged by day to day activities - how can I make it brighter, more interesting and more fun? The byline of my portfolio project is inspired by a line from a postcard my son sent to me during one of my most creative times "Hope you're Having Fun!", it's something I think of daily and thus became part of the logo/branding of The Naughty Dog. Though we have our own naughty dog, I imagine we all know and love the spirit behind any family "naughty" dog.

Where can we find your stuff?
Right now, my stuff is available at Jamie and Dave's, Jamaica Coffee Shop in Jamaica, Vermont and at Twice Upon a Time in Brattleboro, Vermont, and on Etsy at The Naughty Dog. I do have a website, that is currently down, at www.thenaughtydog.us. (I hope to have that running and up to date soon.)

Anything else you'd like us to know about you or your creative work?
hmmm. I think that it can be hard to let creativity just happen in everyday life...you have to practice that idea. Once you have, it's important to take time to enjoy the beauty, you know, admire the moment... and..then..do it again. Do it for growth. Do it for happiness. Share it. Teach it. :) It's most enjoyable!

Thanks Kim for sharing your story. Are you creative? If so, I'd love to hear from you. Send me a note in the comment section below and stay in touch HERE as well.

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe how much I looks like you in that photo, CRAZY!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...