Thursday, August 23, 2012

Nothing Says Summer, Like Dinner on the Porch

It's Thursday!
Time for MY LITTLE BRATTLEBORO, where I talk about art, culture and style on Brattleborology.

Summer isn't over yet my friends, and there is nothing better than a little dinner on the porch with those you LOVE. I'll be honest, I don't tend to make many fancy meals on my own just because I have other priorities these days, but when friends come over, it's a great excuse to make a pretty and tasty dinner. 

Still, I don't like to spend a million years in the kitchen, so I use little short cuts which I'll share here. 


One of my favorite meals to prepare is Mole Enchiladas. I pared them with a fresh salad from a friend's garden, along with black rice from the co-op (look in bulk) and a summery cocktail. 

Easy Mole Enchiladas:
Take a package of corn tortillas and lightly heat in a pan. In a bowl, combine black beans, a bit of red onion, cumin, corn, and a little scoop of salsa if you have it on hand. 

Roll it all and put in a big baking dish. On top, spread cheddar cheese, Mole (I buy a little jar of it at my local co-op and add water over heat b/f pouring it on). If you have a bit of tomato pesto, it's nice to throw that in, too. Finally, add some green chili peppers for a little spice.

Garnish with fresh, homemade guacamole, cilantro, and sour cream. 
Who can resist a salad full of strawberries and flowers?
This one has a little fennel, pecans and red onion thrown in for good measure. 

My new fav: a little coconut water, apple juice, elderflower liquor (St. Germaine)
and Bee Balm flower to garnish.
I like to serve the plate to my guests, because I love how it looks on the plate.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...