Thursday, July 18, 2013

What My Dad Taught Me About Money


I believe we create our own happiness, so whether you are rich or poor, life happens. We have to deal with tragedies that are beyond our control and experience the feeling of love regardless of how much money we have. But to say money doesn't matter would be a lie. It does matter. I see money as a form of energy and the owner gets to use it how they choose. You may hoard it and become greedy with it or you may give it freely.  Your relationship to it can offer you freedom or control your life completely.

My own story around money is complicated and I won't go into it here, but I'm sure, like you, my world views are effected by early relationship to money, or lack of it :)

I am not one who believes money is evil or bad. I am not one who believes I need to obtain buckets and buckets of it to feel safe, happy and secure. There are times in my life when I didn't have a cent, and I survived. What I do feel is that money is a tool that can offer me and my family options. I seek to obtain it in a way that matches my values. I seek to use it in way that enhances joy for those around me and for myself. I feel good about giving it when I can, and in fact, I make it a priority to do so.

I will be the first to admit that I enjoy life's little luxuries. I enjoy a pedicure every once in awhile, a trip to another country, taking my friend out for a meal, buying new curtains. And I'm clear that I don't like the feeling of not having "enough" although I try not to let fear of lack dictate my life or choices. It's a tricky balance, that one.

I am clear that I won't live my life just to accumulate it, nor will I sacrifice my freedom and lifestyle to obtain it. What's the point of that?

Growing up with less has allowed me to be thrifty, to create wonderful experiences and spaces on a budget. It's made me more creative in many ways.  It instilled in me a certain respect for it that I might not have if I was born with loads of it.  I can stretch a dollar quite far and certainly grateful for what I have. Even if I complain that I don't have enough, the reality is that I'm blessed. As Joe Peacock said, money doesn't equal happiness, but it sure don't hurt.
xo Desha Peacock

This is my second post as part of The Declaration of You's BlogLovin' Tour, which I'm so excited to participate in! The Declaration of You helps uncover your own definitions/ideas/values/perspectives around themes such as intention, self-care, success, money and more. Read my first post on SUCCESS here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...